Monday, April 11, 2016

1st Baseman

Dad and another team mate's dad got Collin and the 1st baseman together yesterday to practice throwing the ball to each other.  Collin has a fear of hitting the runner when he throws the ball to 1st so they thought practicing without the runner and throwing the ball over and over again would help. They then switched the boys and Collin played 1st and did fantastic.

The other Dad let the coach know how Collin played so he decided to let Collin play 1st baseman for the game tonight.  He did amazing!  I know I am his mom but even the other team's coaches were making comments about how he was doing.  Dad and I were really proud of him.  During the first inning, he made two outs from throws to 1st.  He also was the cutoff man for the throw from the outfield to stop the runner from advancing.






He was at bat first and hit to short stop who threw it to 1st to get him out.  His hit was a solid one but the other team's fielding was really good.


He came back out to play 1st base at the top of the 3rd inning and was clearly upset.  We did not know what was wrong.  Why would be be upset when he was playing really well....even better than he was playing when he was pitcher.  He kept looking over at us and pouting.  I could not wait for the inning to be over so I could run to the dugout to figure out what was going on.  When I walked over, I noticed an older boy talking to Collin from the outside of the dugout.  As I walked up, he looked over at me and then walked off.  I asked Collin what was wrong and he said that the other kids were saying he hit bad and that Clayton hit really good.  He did not understand why they were saying that because he also hit to the same spot as Clayton.   I asked who was saying this to him and he just told me a mean boy did it.  I figured out it was the boy that was talking to him when I walked up.

When he went to play in the field again, he was even more upset and was even slightly crying.  He was not paying attention to the plays and was playing sloppy compared to how he was playing before.  We tried to tell him to shake it off but he didn't.  Because of some throws he did not catch,the other team scored 2 runs.

At the end of the game, he was so upset, he threw his baseball glove on top of the dugout.  At least he was showing some emotion after the game compared to the other games.  But I knew this was because of what was said about his hitting and not that they did en up losing a close game by 4 runs (13 - 17).  It was a fantastic game but had to watch the boys lose again.

After the coach talked to the boys, Dad did talk to the other boy's dad and let him know what Collin said that the boy said.  The boy came over to apologize and Collin just stood there.  Later I found out that he said he did not know what to say and was embarrassed by the attention.

I hate that he has to learn lessons like this but it's part of being social and know how to respond to people being mean to him.  We talked about it more before going to bed.  I let him know that people have said mean things to me and it's IS hard to hear them.  I let him know that I had to learn how to respond and he will need to also.  It will not be easy, but I am here and so is Dad to teach him.  That's one of the many jobs parents have.

No comments: