Sunday, October 6, 2013

My Little Artist

Sorry for not posting recently.  I had another surgery that really knocked me on my butt unexpectedly.  I thought I would have felt better by Tuesday but I was really out of it for an entire week.  I only started feeling better yesterday.

Because I was not working much, I did have a lot of time to think about what to do with all of the greeting cards I have received from everyone.  I did not want to throw them aware nor did I want to store them in a box somewhere.  I have several large blank canvases that I bought a year or so ago during a big sale and thought these could be used in my new office.

I first placed most of the cards, letters and other breast cancer related mementos (Tour de Pink race number, Team Wonder Woman brochure, etc) on two different canvases and then glued them down.  Next, I used black letters to include the encouraging words that helped me through the last 9 months. 

Lastly, I painted a picture of a bald woman dancing and looking up at a pink ribbon.  While I was painting, Collin sat and watched me and asked questions.  He wanted to know why the lady did not have any hair and I asked him if he remembered when I didn't have hair.  He said he did and then looked at the painting again as if he understood why she looked the way she did.  He then wanted to paint with me.  Since it was past 8:30pm, I said he could the next day but to think about what he wanted to paint.  He sat there with me and talked about what he would paint and then ran to the spare bedroom and found the small canvases I bought for him to paint on and came back with one and a pencil.  He started to drawn on it and wanted me to help him.  Since I did not want my paint to dry up on me, I asked if it could wait until the morning. He really did not want to but eventually left me alone.

Here are the results of my little project this weekend:



 
 
This morning after breakfast, Collin was ready to paint.  He still was not sure what he wanted to paint so we looked at some pictures online until he found a soccer ball that had fire around it.  I drew a rough picture of the fire soccer ball lightly with pencil before he started to paint. 
 
While painting, he explained how he was using his brush stroke while getting the paint and then painting on the canvas.  He said he learned this in art class.  I also wonder if he learned it from me when he was watching me paint last night.  He did get a little frustrated when he got out of the lines but then figured out how to paint over it and fixed it.  I was really proud of him for not quiting and staying focused for as long as he did.
 


Painting the black spots on the soccer ball. I did not draw these...he did this by himself.

Starting to add the fire

 
 
I LOVE how his painting turned out!  He even painted the sides a color like I did.  Instead of hanging it in his room where he wanted to when we talked about it last night, he wants to hang his over his computer in the office like I hung mine in the office.  I cannot get enough of this little boy!!!

1 comment:

Monica said...

Love your paintings, and Collin is a little artist, as well! Sorry to hear your recuperation from surgery has been longer than expected. Glad to see you're feeling a bit better now. Thanks for keeping up with the blog. It's been great to see how you all are doing.