Sunday, September 27, 2015

Collin's First 5K.....Attempt

This morning, Collin attempted his first 5K.  He has ran multiple 1Ks before but was ready to try a 5K.  Dad thought he would be able to make it but I knew he would only make it with lots of walking involved.  I talked to him about not running so fast in the very beginning because he needed to make his energy last through the entire run.  He ran fairly slow for him (9 minute mi) for 1.2 miles and then had to walk the majority time the rest of the way.  During this time, I talked about how to look behind him when he moved over so he would not cut a runner off...which he almost did later in the run.  That runner was fine because he was paying attention.

When we got close to the finish line, he wanted to hold my hand so we could run across the finish line together.  When he saw Dad waiting and the crowd cheering, I think it was too much for the competitive nature he has because he dropped my hand and started running....until he made it through the finish line.  He was happy to get his medal and then he let me know he forgot to hear the announcer say his name when he crossed the finish line.  I let him know I heard it and was very proud of him for making it 3.1 miles even if he did not run all of it.  "I want to do a 1K next time.  I did not like that".

Even if he did not like it, it was a great experience for him.  He also now has a better understanding of what Mom does when she is running in a race.  Even though I did not get to run 6.2 miles like I was supposed to on the schedule, I had the best morning with my boys.

Collin wanted to sleep because we had to leave at 5:50am



Great time at the finish line
That's my boy crossing the finish line
Tradition for us to bite the medal after the race

YEAH, we finished the race



No comments: